Thursday, July 29, 2010

Im 16 and never worked before. I need tips and advice for my first job!?

I recently turned 16 [feb 04] and I've been trying for the last 2 months to get a job. I need tips and/or help for these problems I am having...





1.) When I file for a certain job(i.e. food service, Cashier, etc..), they are sometimes looking for a person with experience.


How can I get around this if I can.





2.) After applying for these jobs, what comes next? I am not exactly sure as to what is the next step for me too do. Am I suppose to check in and see if they received my app so they can at least look at it if they haven't already or what?





3.) Is it bad to state what you want to be paid if they are asking you. Say in the app somewhere they ask what do I expect to get paid per hour. Should I say the standard or what I am looking to get?





Also if you have any other advice that would be greatly appreciated and please be serious about this. I really need a job right now.





P.s. If you so happen to live in/around Mckinney, Tx Do you know of any jobs that are hiring for young teens or any business that are.





Please and Thank you all!Im 16 and never worked before. I need tips and advice for my first job!?
You can't really get around the no experience thing, but then being 16 and considering the types of jobs you're qualified for, a large part of the work force in those positions started out with no experience. Don't sweat that too much, can't really be avoided. If you get interviewed and they ask you about this spin it by saying something like that's why you're so excited to work there because you think it will be a great experience.





Entry level wage is prob a good answer, with no experience you're going to start out with the lowest wage anyways.





I'd say check back in or resubmit another resume after a week or two if you haven't heard anything. Usually unless they decided to interview you (in which case you're halfway there) you're prob not going to hear from them. New jobs may come up all the time though, and while maybe you didn't make the cut for one, another time around you might, and simply showing persistence and desire to get hired might win them over too.





A good tip: make note of the manager's name so the next time you come in you can ask for them and hand the application to them directly. Then comes the hard part...introduce yourself, shake their hand, tell them how much you want to work there (and have some reasons why thought out cause they'll ask) with a smile on your face, and then say it was nice to meet you and thank them for their time. I swear by this...every time I do this i get a call back, once I was working the next day. Simply introducing yourself is going to get you ahead of all the other people who just drop thier application/resume off.Im 16 and never worked before. I need tips and advice for my first job!?
You're welcome :) Good luck!

Report Abuse



Here are a few good articles that you should read. They surely will answer some of your questions.





Good luck in a very miserable job market. Best to try fast food and retail.








Steve





http://jobsearch.about.com/od/teenstuden鈥?/a>





http://www.quintcareers.com/ten_job_tips鈥?/a>





http://teenadvice.about.com/od/adviceexp鈥?/a>
1. say good multi-tasker and dependable


2. always go back to check on your app in 1 week


3. say entry level wage

No comments:

Post a Comment