Thursday, July 29, 2010

Can anybody please give me tips or advice on my real estate investing plan.?

I plan to purchase a duplex property under my name. I will occupy one unit and rent the second unit to a tenant. Since i'll basically will be living rent free, im going to save my income. When i get close to 2 years of staying in the property i will use the equity in the duplex to purchase additional properties under my LLC. I also will move out of the unit i'm staying in and rent out that unit. So now i'll have one duplex that's fully rented and maybe another two properties if i have a sufficent amount of equity. Will this work?Can anybody please give me tips or advice on my real estate investing plan.?
Your plan seems to completely depend on your ability to find a stable renter who will pay enough rent to cover your mortgage on a duplex. Also, you will need to factor-in the taxes you'll pay on the rental income. So, the rental will have to be a high-end apartment that can demand high rent. Unless you're planning on living in studio apartment in the basement for a four bedroom house, I would be surprised if it pencils out.





Also, in my area, a lot of people have the duplex investing dream, so duplexes are typically premium properties. Of course, you have a much better idea of what your real estate market is, but friends in my area had a hard time finding an available duplex let alone financing (especially now).





Two years doesn't build-up much equity. Also, you need to plan on at least two-months of vacancy each year, repairs of at least one month's rent annually, and uncollected damages, lost rent.Can anybody please give me tips or advice on my real estate investing plan.?
There is very little equity buildup in the 1st 2 years of ownership. If you have a lot of appreciation, you might be able to get some money out of your duplex.





How is the appreciation of duplexes in your area?
You have a good idea and one that works for many people. One thing I will caution you about though is you need to have adequate savings to cover miscellaneous cost including the vacancy of the until. Your expense still go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment