Saturday, August 21, 2010

Tattoo tips and advice for first timer?

So, I'm getting my first tattoo in a few months, and I have quite a few questions. First off, the tattoo I'm getting isn't really big or complex, It's an all seeing eye with rays coming out of it. The rays have some kanji letters. I'm only using like 5 colors, so it's not anything complex.





A) I'm getting this tattoo on my left shoulder (I think this is the most common area), and it's the size is like a half of a half sleeve. How long will this take? I just want a rough estimate.





B) I am a complete WIMP went it comes to needles. I heard pain relievers kind of work. What type of pain relievers are good (Advil, Bayer, Tylenol, etc)?





C) What's the closest feeling of what it's going to be like? I heard that taking a razor, and lightly running it across the skin is very close.





Thank you for all of your answers.Tattoo tips and advice for first timer?
A) three to four hours





B) don't need them





C) sandpaperTattoo tips and advice for first timer?
I have a tattoo about the size you want to get yours done. It took a half hour, but with five different colors it will take longer. It also depends on the artist that's doing it. It does sting and burn, but nothing too drastic. If you really need a pain killer go with tylenol, I don't suggest it though, just eat and drink before you get there so you don't pass out. You can ask them for a break if you need one and take a water bottle.
I would say an hour, give or take.


You shouldn't take ANY pain relievers before getting this done. It could stop the colours from taking, same with alcohol. Just suck it up =) I am a HUGE wimp and I have 2. It wasn't so bad. They had music on and talked to me the whole time.


To me, it felt like a burning sting. Like a hot needle being scrapped over my skin over and over. It was worth it.


Good Luck =)
A) It sounds pretty small so it really shouldn't take that long. Probably around 2 hours depending on the artist.





B) It's really not that bad. I wouldn't waste my time with pain relievers, they wont help.





C) It kind feels like a cat scratch.. Well, a lot of them.





Have fun!
It sounds as though you are aprehensive about getting a tattoo., so don't. In the long run you will be just another dude with a tatoo. Try to find another way to express yourself without putting it on your skin. It sounds as though you may regret it.
I heard that you're supposed to eat first and that the needle feels like a bee with it's stinger gliding on your skin. Maybe check out some tattoo sites. Make sure the artist is good. Try some YouTube videos.
In addition to the other advice, re no pain pills, etc.


Be sure to use proper aftercare. The link below will help you with that.
C) The Feeling





Okay, my story, I went out one random night and got a tat on my left side of my hip right on the hip bone, so I know what fleshy-tattooing and bone tattooing feels like





The fleshy parts are not that bad at all, it will feel like a buzzing that stings ever so slightly. You defiantly expect more pain then it is.





Now the bone is killer. It's not make-you-cry killer but significantly worse then the fleshy parts its like something scraping against the bone and vibrating. I have the lowest pain tolerance ever, and I did okay, just squeezed my friend's hand. ;) so, IN SUMMARY: Its not that bad, it will be tender.





B) You wont need any pain pills. I am also an ultimate wimp lol


Plus, don't quote me, I believe all the pain meds thin your blood = bad.





and don't take breaks. ever. you let your arm get numb and the pain will hurt less, more breaks you take the worse it is. like running long distances!





As for time, my tattoo is about the size of a screen on a blackberry, shading and black and white and it took about 30-40 min out line shading and all. :D





Good luck! The anticipation is worse than it is. Trust me!
A) depends on the artist. anywhere from 1-3 hours. ask your artist for an estimate.





B) DO NOT take advil, and definitely NO aspirin. they are blood thinners, which will make you bleed heavily, making the artist's job a lot harder, and ultimately end up making the process take a lot longer. it doesnt feel the same as getting a shot or something, if thats the type of fear of needles that you have. I mean, you shouldnt be able to see the needle itself given the spot that you want it, if that helps. if the sound of the machine bothers you, bring your ipod.





C) Mine took close to three hours, and it still isnt done, im going back in a week for a second session, and the only comparison i could come up with is a cat scratching at a reeeeeally bad sunburn. it definitely isnt fun, but it is worth it. no pain, no gain. Then again, everyone experiences pain differently. for me, it sucked. but mine is on my side from my hip to my ribs, and ive been told its a tough spot.


I got more sesitive as the process went on, but some people claim tht they sort of numb to it. i dont know, im sorry, but really the only way of knowing is getting one, it doesnt really feel like anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment