Saturday, August 21, 2010

Any tips or advice for a new food service employee?

I just got a new job at a cafe in a Marriott Hotel. I've had one restaurant job in the past and all I can remember from the experience was stress and chaos. Constantly worrying about messing up an order, dropping a tray, or anything else embarrassing that might happen in front of customers and coworkers.





My first day is in two days and it's all I've been thinking about. I was asking for any advice that might help make the first day go a little more smoothly so that I can find my groove a bit sooner to feel more comfortable. The reason I liked my last job so much is because I felt like it was my ';territory';. I'm hoping to get that confidence quickly at this new job.





Thanks for reading!Any tips or advice for a new food service employee?
After one week you will lose your fears of dropping trays and messing up orders.


Find a type of tray which is comfortable for you. Avoid some of those small ';bar trays'; when delivering beer in bottles. They always tip.


Write down all orders. Even the tiniest things. Then you will never forget.


Ask the other staff to help you and to give you shortcuts. You can even take small presents to the ones who help you the most.


Go back to all tables often to make sure they don't need anything. Keep the water glasses full. Never set down a glass while holding the rim of the glass with your fingers.Any tips or advice for a new food service employee?
It helps to just overwhelm the customer with happiness. Make sure the cutomers feel welcome and important. Make sure if you ever DO make a mistake that you apologize greatly and just make them feel like they are the most important person that you've had all day. As far as messing up orders, you'll get used to working the floor and practice will make you better :) Don't give up!
Don't even start to care about your job, because you will only be dissapointed.
From a manager's perspective, I would advise you to come in clean cut and shaven, and do your best to learn everything you can on the menu and the specials BEFORE you arrive for your first day. This impresses managers more than you may think. Always be courteous and make sure you do your best on the job (in regards to the messing up the orders thing). And don't get too worried about messing things up, mistakes happen, and worrying about it too much can actually lead to more accidents. Hope this helps

No comments:

Post a Comment