Monday, August 23, 2010

Iguana's diet plan! Need tips and as much advice as I can get!?

Okay, I have a juvi iguana, and I'm working on improving his diet right now. I'm wondering if it would be okay to take some collard greens or arugula and mush all of it up with the rest of his food into almost a mush? And freeze it so I have alot of food and just thaw little bits at a time and give it to him.. I appreciate and tips on making feeding easier :) thanks for all your advice!Iguana's diet plan! Need tips and as much advice as I can get!?
First of all you don't want to freeze the food. Freezing it will destroy some of the vitamins. You'll just have to go to the store more often. Juvi igs need to be sure they have the proper calcium and phosphorus. For igs it is recommended to be 2:1 calcium : phosphorus ratio. What I do is buy some Collard greens, mustard greens, endive, turnip greens are the best as a base food. I cut them up into bite size pieces and put it in a plasitc grocery bag. 2 bunches of each lasts me about 4 days. Stay away from lettuce and spinach. The spinach can actually inhibit their calcium absorption. Top it with carrots, some but not too much broccoli, apples, strawberries.....mine love cantalope too. Be sure your ig has the proper lighting and heat as well. They must have the UV light in order to get their vitamin D which helps their bodies absorb and use the calcium.





Here is an excellent website chock full of information on igs and their proper care.





http://www.anapsid.org/iguana





Scroll down to the bottom of the page and on the left side, you'll see the menu you can choose information from. Melissa Kaplan has some great ';salad'; recipes for igs.Iguana's diet plan! Need tips and as much advice as I can get!?
I've had iguanas for 10+ years. They're all full grown. One is 14 years old this year. I must be doing something right. If you're reading the opposite of what I said, you're reading something wrong. I've nursed igs back from the edge of death (rescues frm other people) along w/the help of my vet

Report Abuse


  • skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment