Monday, August 23, 2010

Job Hunting tips and advice?

Recently my circimstances in life have changed drastically and have forced me to move out of my parent's house and find a job and somewhere to live. I am a high school graduate who, until recently, went to a local college to get a Bachelor's in Accounting. I do not have a degree yet because I can't get funding to resume my collegiate studies (I have already been to the financial aide office and although I can raise some of the tuition money, I can't raise it all without a cosigner for a student loan). My family is not helping nor speaking to me due to circumstances beyond my control. I need to find a job that can support me for the means to live on my own. Restaurants do not pay enough for rent, etc. I am 20, articulate, attractive, and professional and have strong aptitudes in Mathematics and Science. Any suggestions of a job I can obtain to make ends meet until I get my life back in focus? I need your advice.Job Hunting tips and advice?
Well, first I will tell you that I wish you luck finding that first job. It took me 7 months after college to find mine. I can tell you some things based on my own experiences





1) STAY AWAY from employment agencies - they are also known as 'staffing agencies' or 'recruitment agencies' or whatever. When you go in there, they have you fill out an application and then they interview you, and they try to help you find a job, but they are usually temporary jobs or 'contract to hire', but they are usually very low paying jobs with little or no benefits. Usually companies that recruit through agencies have interviewed dozens or maybe even hundreds of other 'applicants'/'candidates' or whatever other words they like to use now, and they couldn't find anyone. And they get your hopes up and you never hear from them again. Some of them are okay, but most of the ones I dealt with are terrible and I would never use them again. You are better off looking online or in the want ads.





2) If you get an interview, find out as much as you can about the company. That shows that you are interested.





3) Dress appropriately





4) make sure your resume is good





that should help you to get startedJob Hunting tips and advice?
I do love what I do, but I fell into it. I am an IT person in business. I thought I was getting into video game design!!!





I often advise people to write down three things they love to do, not work at. It can be music, sports, writing, movies, children, or the elderly.





Then, spend a little time finding out what careers there are in that field. For example, if love music, but can't sing, you can become a manager of a music venue.





Don't worry about money either. Money will come with the passion you put into your career.





And remember, if you do something you love, you will never work a day in your life!!





I write a blog which provides free career advice at www.directyourcareer.com





Hope this helps!!





Mike@directyourcareer.com


www.directyourcareer.com
have you tried Linkedin networking and gaining connections to help you in your job search good luck !!

No comments:

Post a Comment