Monday, August 23, 2010

Photography Portfolio - tips and advice?

I'm 15 years old and have always been interested in photography. My parents told me I should have a more stable career as photography is a very hard subject to get into. So I have decided that photography is going to be something that I do as a sideline. I'm hoping to own my own business one day, most probably a photography one, which I'll more than likely end up co-owning with my friend Charlotte who wants to be a full time photographer.


So more to the point, I booked a connextions interview and had a chat with one of the people who work there. They suggested making a photography portfolio that I can present when looking for jobs in the photography business. The problem is that I have no idea what this is supposed to look like and be presented like. Is it meant to be very very proffesional/formal, or can it be more layed back? What book sort of thing should I buy for it and where?


Also any tips on just general photography, like any tricks and advice that has really helped you out when you have been taking photographs?


Thanks so much.Photography Portfolio - tips and advice?
When in doubt, go conservative. All my portfolios are in basic black portfolios that hold 8x10's. No more than 20-25 of your best shots should in a portfolio. These can be purchased at any camera shop, I paid, I think, around $10.00 for each one. Only show your strongest work and don't put the best in first, nor do you want to save the best for last either.


Photo Tips:


1. know what your subject is ( I see sooo many photos and i am not quite sure what they photos of- besides the empty corn field!)


2. Simplify the scene- no distractions from the subj


3. Draw attention to the subj in some wayPhotography Portfolio - tips and advice?
For an online portfolio, have a look at http://www.redbubble.com/ where you can browse lots of peoples styles etc.


Its free to join as well, and if you do, message me, and I will send you a link to my profile on there.


People worldwide are only too willing to help and give advice.





Hope you enjoy your photography.
You have to be different. You have to set yourself apart. You have to be able to sell yourself. If you are shooting the exact same thing everyone else is, then you are going to have to be better than all of them. If you are shooting something unique then you stand a better chance of getting noticed. Stay away from the cliche' shots. Confidence is key. For the portfolio you will need to get a nice book, as nice as you can afford. Check out www.adorama.com. I prefer black, but that is just me. As far as advice. READ READ READ... read everything you can on photography. Learn about the quality of light, composition, know how to use your camera upside down and backwards. Know aperture, what it is, how it works.. make it work for you. Most importantly, don't listen to what everyone else says.. stay true to yourself, you will find your path. And hey, if you like it, it's a good shot. Good Luck To You!
More and more people are using CD's and DVD's as marketing tools but nothing beats the visual impact of a great photo portfolio for a photographer trying to make a mark.





I would suggest that you create some themes (successful photographs follow... know what?... read my article on photography instead of having me describe this here: http://www.jpgmag.com/people/galan/stori鈥?/a> This article will at least give you guidelines to successful images.





As for your portfolio... show diversity, creativity, artistic vision. Show your potential employer that you know how to capture personality, detail and to grab their attention with color and composition.





Have a well-rounded portfolio and, if a photo in it doesn't grab you EVERY time you look at it... get it out of that portfolio and replace it with one that does.



No comments:

Post a Comment