Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Considering Microfracture surgery...any tips or advice?

I hurt my knee 8 months ago to the point where it really hurt to walk. The doc said that some cartiladge is missing after repeated falling from snowboarding. The two options were wait or have surgery. I waited, but it's been 8 months and I still have some discomfort when I kneel or put pressure on my knee. I am considering going in for the surgery. If you have gone through something similar what are your suggestions I really dont want to be on cruchs for 6-8 weeks I hear there is alot of rehab time. any info would help, thanks.Considering Microfracture surgery...any tips or advice?
You already know your options: Live with it or schedule surgery. Missing cartilage will not heal and that pain is not likely to get better so surgery is likely in your future. There are some braces that might be able to take pressure of that area of the knee with the cartilage damage but I have not seen good results with it. Ask your doctor.





There is a fair amount of rehab that is involved after surgery. Need to look into your insurance coverage. How many physical therapy visits are covered a year and how much does it cost? does a deductible apply.


If you are only allowed 15 visits per calendar year, have your surgery a few weeks before the insurance resets. If you have a high deductible and many physical therapy visits you may be better off to have surgery at the beginning of the year, otherwise you may have to meet your deductible for both the surgery and therapy before insurance kicks in to pay for any of it. This could save you a lot of money. Also sit down and look at your calendar. Do you want to be on crutches in the winter with snow/ice, over holidays or over the summer.





Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment