Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Anybody have good tips or advice on getting a job, interviews, etc? ?

Hi, I am 19 years old and am looking for preferably full-time employment. I have graduated from high school, and have my smart serve, which means I can serve alcohol and work in a bar. I have been searching for employment but have been unlucky for quite some time. I think it's because I live in a small town so opportunities are very hard to come by.





But what could I do to set myself apart? I am determined to head off to college next year, but I want to work so I can build up some savings to help pay for college. Most of the jobs where I live are fast food, but there are a couple bars. (I live in Canada so I am old enough to work there). Is there any advice anyone could give me that would help me set myself apart from other applicants?





And also, what kinds of strategies should I use to ensure that the right people are seeing my resume? I have handed resumes to pretty much any place I can think of, but that isn't working. Is there any other way to go about doing this so I can be more successful?





Also should I volunteer to work for a bit so the employer can see what I am like as a potential employee? If so how do I ask about doing this?





Thank you in advance :) !





Anybody have good tips or advice on getting a job, interviews, etc? ?
Make sure when you hand in your resume, you ask to speak with the manager or owner. If they are not in, ask when would be a good time to come back. Don't just hand it to whoever is there.





Call back, and ask if they've had a chance to review your resume, and reiterate how eager you are to contribute to their business.





Dress nicely, don't bring your friends.





While you talk to the manager or whomever, try to say a few things that will stick in their mind. Maybe you have the same shoes as she does or something. Just anything that will be sure to keep you in his or her mind.





Also, do you have your bartending license as well? It's not as necessary as smart serve, but I know that in Ontario, at least, it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment